My professional career has had several stages. This has included work as a hardware engineer, software developer, program manager, director of engineering, general manager, and finally founder and CEO. To look at it from another perspective, I’m a geek that has learned to navigate the world of business.
In fact, one of the most rewarding activities for me is to go beyond simply sharing digital marketing insights to a client, and on to helping the organization commit to making changes that alter the trajectory of their growth. I’ve had the privilege of doing this with companies that range from some of the world’s largest companies to well-funded startups.
Everything I’ve learned is a tribute to the countless mentors and people that I’ve learned from through the years. Some of the more notable sources of inspiration I had were:
- Harald Enge: My father, who was one of the pre-eminent experimental physicists of his time. I learned so much about how to help people, and how to think about and solve problems from him.
- Paul Johannessen: Founder of Megapulse, his family and ours grew up together. From Paul, I got my first glimpse of a successful entrepreneur, something I would carry with me throughout my career. Other entrepreneurs I encountered in my early years included Peter Rose and Hugh Quinn.
- Ron Fisher: CEO/Chairman at Phoenix Technologies at the time I met him, he became Director and Chairman of Softbank North America. Ron taught me many lessons about how to conduct myself as a professional and a businessperson.
In addition to these three, there are countless other bosses, co-workers, and people who worked for me that taught me so much of what I learned along the way. Anything that I may have accomplished along the way is a tribute to all of them.
The gory details of my background for those that are interested:
- Five years (1982 to 1986) at Megapulse, a pioneer in Loran-C technology, where I did hardware design and software development.
- Ten years (1986 to 1997) at Phoenix Technologies, a pioneer in Basic Input/Output Software, where I worked as a senior analyst, director of engineering for the BIOS development team, and general manager for the OEM Consumer Software Group.
- 10 years (2002 to 2012) at Optimized Internet Corporation, Moving Traffic, Inc., and Futuremeld LLC, publishing companies that I co-founded. These companies built, published and sold education leadgen sites.
- 23 years (1997 to 2018) at Stone Temple Consulting Corporation which I founded and that evolved into a leading SEO agency that we sold to Perficient, Inc. in July of 2018.
- Three years (2018 to 2021) at Perficient, Inc., where I served in the General Manager and Principal roles with a focus on building the digital marketing practice.
I now work only on a part-time basis. I hand select clients where the work interests me. My time for this is very limited so if I don’t accept an engagement with you please don’t be offended!